In 1979 I graduated from Apple Valley Senior High School in Apple Valley, Minnesota. There were a whole lot of fantastic people in that class and many of us still keep in touch 35 years later.
As we gather this weekend to celebrate together, I think back on the year 1979 and smile. Here are few fun facts about 1979 – enjoy…
- We may have seen you walking while listening to tapes on your Sony Walkman and wearing a LaCoste preppy shirt with the famous alligator on the left side. Walkmans cost $200.
- The number one song playing during the week we graduated was “Reunited” by Peaches and Herb.
- The most popular sitcom was “Three’s Company”.
- The Oscar winner for best film was “Kramer vs. Kramer”
- Victoria’s Secret was born.
- Nickelodeon TV Cable Network was started.
- Sid Vicious of Sex Pistols fame died of a heroin overdose.
- Brook Shields let us know that “nothing comes between me and my Calvins”.
- The most popular beauties of the day were Farrah Fawcett, Suzanne Somers, Lynda Carter, Catherine Bach, Cheryl Tiegs, Iman, Christie Brinkley.
- Disco Fever was on tv and Denny Terrio taught us how to disco.
- The Village People encourage us to be “In The Navy”. They were also sued that year by the YMCA for using their name in another song you may have heard a time or two.
- If you were so inclined, you could buy a Mr. Microphone from Ronco.
- We all learned, sadly, about Three Mile Island.
- Betamax – need I say more?
- You could have your very own Tandy TRS-80 Personal Computer for just $9,980.00.
- A few brave souls were caught bungee jumping from the Golden Gate Bridge.
- Median Household Income was $16,500.00.
- An average home cost $71,000.00
- Gasoline was $0.86 per gallon.
- A king sized bean bag chair was $19.99.
- A JVS VHS recording machine was $54.99.
Lots of fun and silly facts that might make you chuckle and remember how it was back in the day.
Looking forward to seeing those who I haven’t seen for many years – hoping all are doing well and remembering those who are no longer able to be with us.
79…79…7,7,7,7…79! Go Eagles!!